Sunday 3 June 2012

{faith} Down by the seaside


Today I took my little girl down to the seaside, for the very first time.

It had been a long day at home and we were both getting a bit bored, so I packed up the car with a blanket and hat and off we drove.  I am so glad we live close to the sea!


Miss Placid was just awestruck by the ocean. As we were walking down the sand dune to the beach, she could hear the waves and she was intrigued. Her little eyes were darting around madly, trying to figure out what it was that was making such a noise!


After I set up our blanket I sat her up, facing the ocean. She sat so still, for what seemed an eternity - taking it all in. I popped her little hat on, took of her socks and walked her over to the shoreline. As I bent down to stand her up in the sand, she was a little unsure, uneasy. She wanted to know what this new sensation and feeling was - what was this rough stuff under her feet, and why did her toes suddenly feel so cold! She would be looking out to the sea and the waves, then would quickly glance back at me and lean into me for reassurance. When she realised I was by her side and that she was safe, she eased up a little more and began to enjoy it.


After we got home, and i reflected on our little adventure, it made me realise just how much Miss Placid's first experience with the ocean was what it is like when we are uncertain of things in life. We are uneasy, we approach them sometimes with eagerness and sometimes with fear. But one thing i know for sure is that I have my God and saviour there by my side - just as i was beside Miss Placid - to hold my hand, to comfort me and to reassure me that every little thing will be ok.  If I fall down, he will help get me back up again. If it gets to much, he will carry me when it seems I can no longer go on.


God, you're my refuge. I trust in you and I'm safe! That's right - he rescues you from hidden traps, shields you from deadly hazards. His huge outstretched arms protect you - under them you're perfectly safe; his arms fend off all harm.  Fear nothing - not wild wolves in the night, not flying arrows in the day. Not disease that prowls through the darkness, not disaster that erupts at high noon.  Even though others succumb all around, drop like flies right and left; no harm will even graze you. You'll stand untouched, watch it all from a distance...Yes, because God's your refuge, the High God your very own home, Evil cant get close to you, harm cant get through the door. He ordered his angels to guard wherever you go. If you stumble, they'll catch you; their job is to keep you from falling. You'll walk unharmed among lions and snakes, and kick young lions and serpents from the path.
Psalm 91:1-13 (Message)


Much love

Daughter of the King
x

2 comments: