Wednesday 22 February 2012

What consumes your time?


I have been out of the blogging scene for sometime lately, having given birth to our first child, Delilah, 14 weeks ago, and as such, I have also been out of touch with my walk with Christ. Im by no means proud of this at all, a little ashamed, but I know that I am forgiven.

I was browsing through a fellow bloggers posts recently where i found this post regarding her thoughts on Facebook and the reasons behind why she decided to leave the social networking phenomenon behind, and it got me thinking too. 

Matt and I have a joint facebook account, and we have had it since we got married. It has {ever so slowly} been creeping up on us and taking over our lives. I think if i could calculate how much time we actually spend on facebook, i would be appalled and sickened. It is constantly logged in on our phones, iPad, home computer and laptop. When im feeding Delilah, i will have a quick scroll through to see what is going on, when she is asleep - I will do the same thing. But, the problem is, I never seem to have time to sit down and read God's word. I never seem to have time to be still and hear his voice, and I never seem to have the time to pray - and i mean, really pray - not just praying for the little things.... like getting Delilah to sleep!

As a family I feel we have been foolishly wasting our time! That is not to say that facebook is all bad! We have so many wonderful friends and networks on Facebook! I for one have a brilliant mothers group online which is such a support network to me in this new thing called "motherhood" which i am slowly figuring out! It is also such a fabulous forum for us to upload pictures of Delilah for our family to see her progress and how she is doing. But, what did people do before facebook?? There was such a thing as emails, phone calls, home visits and good old snail mail! I kind of miss the simplicity of those times! I miss people popping over for visits rather than posting on my wall, I miss handmade invitations to parties rather than ones generated on Facebook! And i LOVE receiving letters in the mail....but they too seem to be a forgotten past-time, sadly!

As a family, we have decided that we are going to trial something for a time, perhaps for the month of March to see how it goes. We are going to limit our facebook time to once a week. We will set aside some time perhaps on a weekend where we can check in, see what is happening and post pictures etc. The rest of the week, I want us to focus our 'free time' to be put to a much more productive use - spending time together as a family, enjoying each others company - getting back to the basics! I also want to spend MUCH more time digging into God's word. Life for me gets so overwhelming and i find i try and do it all on my own and in my own strength! I need to remember that I have a God who WANTS to be there for me, who is willing for me to lean upon Him when i grow weary and when times get tough abd when i have no energy and cant possibly see how i am going to make it through the day - he is there!

He wants me....ALL of me, to follow after Him - and in doing so, I believe he will enrich my life in ways i couldnt possibly imagine!

Is there something in your life that is taking over? Whether it be Facebook or other social networking sites, television, gossip magazines? I encourage you to do a stocktake of your own life and see what areas can be improved - God wants to be involved in your life - he just asks we take the time to get to know him!

Much love

Im linking up with Capturing Motherhood - picture me (im)perfectly 


4 comments:

  1. thank you so very much for posting this. i was just considering what i was going to let go for Lent and your words rang so true for me. thank you for being so vulnerable and for linking up. xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post Dan!
    You will benefit so much from this.
    Love you beautiful girl xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! It's exactly what I've been thinking about A LOT in the past few weeks. As a result I've deleted facebook off my phone. Like you, I still like to have it to keep in touch with family overseas and for them to see how Eli is going, plus keeping in touch with Mum's group stuff but I hate the way it can consume so much precious time! I also don't want Eli to grow up seeing me with my phone ALL the time! I want to be 'present' always!!

    Nath and I have also been challenged about the amount of time we end up sitting in front of the tv wasting time. So we've decided to turn the tv off on weeknights and only have it on during weekends. Now we spend our nights talking more...worshipping and reading/studying the Bible separately and together etc. I just find I spend so much time sitting in front of the tv/facebook and am no better a person because of it!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! It's exactly what I've been thinking about A LOT in the past few weeks. As a result I've deleted facebook off my phone. Like you, I still like to have it to keep in touch with family overseas and for them to see how Eli is going, plus keeping in touch with Mum's group stuff but I hate the way it can consume so much precious time! I also don't want Eli to grow up seeing me with my phone ALL the time! I want to be 'present' always!!

    Nath and I have also been challenged about the amount of time we end up sitting in front of the tv wasting time. So we've decided to turn the tv off on weeknights and only have it on during weekends. Now we spend our nights talking more...worshipping and reading/studying the Bible separately and together etc. I just find I spend so much time sitting in front of the tv/facebook and am no better a person because of it!

    xx

    ReplyDelete