Wednesday 24 June 2015

(Recipe) ::: Chicken Bone Broth

On our journey to find lifestyle choices that will help support our kids health (prompted by the onset of eczema with DD2), we were introduced to the idea of using bone broths as a way to support healthy gut function and increase the productivity of the immune system. Research is showing more and more that gut health is the direct link for so many different ailments and illnesses, from eczema to depression and anxiety. It's exciting that we can start supporting ourselves more with something as simple as a broth!

Bone broths have been around for years...they are not a new concept. Your grandma most probably used to cook them all the time! They are super easy to make and the benefits they provide, and the ways in which you can use them, are endless! My beautiful friend, Stephanie Rayner, introduced them to me, and we have been making them since! If there is a cold or flu running its course, this stuff is liquid gold! I would heat some up in a coffee mug and drink it hot - so nourishing and delicious! 

The recipe I use is adapted from The Red Tent Health Centre. I slightly changed quantities to suit my massive 15 Litre pot I got from Kmart - which I use to make my broth! 

Whenever you cook up a roast chook (or buy a hot chook from the shops), instead of just chucking out the bones and carcass, pop them in the freezer until you are ready to make your broth. For the broth I made yesterday, I had 2 x carcasses and about 16 x leg bones and the more chicken you use, the richer your stock is. It is better to get organic chickens, as they are obviously free from any chemicals or hormones. We are very restricted with choice where we live, so I have been simply using Free Range chickens.

The same is true for the vegetables - the more organic produce you can use, the better. I used organic onion and carrot in my recipe - however we had no organic celery so just standard there. The apple cider vinegar is used to help bring out the calcium and other minerals in the broth.

I tend to prepare my stock after the kids have gone to bed, and leave it on a gentle simmer overnight - which works out to about 12 hours or so. If you have a slow cooker, you could also pop it in there for 10 hours. If you have only simmered yours for a short time, you may need to add salt to taste at the end. However, due to the length of time mine simmers, it never needs extra salt.

We use our broth in everything! Whenever a recipe calls for stock, we replace it with broth. I even replace recipes calling for water with the broth. For example, mashed potatoes in the thermie, i use the broth instead of milk (and if i dont have broth I use coconut milk and its divine!). Boiling rice in broth, adding it to spaghetti bolognaise mince, boiling vegetables in it. The limits are absolutely endless! One of our favourites is a dairy free potato bake recipe, which I will put the link up for on our facebook page!

So dont be afraid of the broth! It is really a simple, inexpensive addition to your meals which will continue to give back to you in health benefits!

Chicken Bone Broth Recipe


2-3 Chicken carcasses 
4 sticks celery, washed and cut into pieces
2 brown onions, skins left on, washed and cut
2 carrots, washed and cut
4Tbsp apple cider vinegar

First we need to clean the chicken by placing it into a pot and covering it with water. Bring it to the boil. Once boiling, discard the water and replace with fresh water. 

Place all other ingredients into the stockpot and fill it with water to 4/5 of capacity. Bring it to the boil then turn the heat down to a simmer. The longer you leave it to simmer, the richer it becomes. 

When complete, leave to cool and strain through a sieve using muslin cloth. Store in fridge or freezer. I tend to go through my stock very quickly so i keep mine in the fridge. Though if you prefer, you can freeze in ice cubes, or little ziplock bags ready to defrost and pop in your favourite meals!

x




No comments:

Post a Comment