Sunday 6 February 2011

A productive weekend...


I don't actually know where the time went this weekend...it seemed to be over before I knew it! But..that's quite alright with me...we got alot done in our little house! :)

On Friday evening, I went with a friend from work to visit one of the secretaries in hospital who had just given birth to a baby girl! I was hanging out for a cuddle, but I dont like to ask...I just wait to see if the mother offers! This time, I got a hold! I felt so blessed...and as it turns out, this was the first newborn baby I have ever held! Was such a special experience...something I will never forget!

Saturday saw hubby off to work for the day, so I set out to clean the house! I got most of it done, just didnt get a chance to mop the floors!!! I did, however, get distracted on Gumtree and had a look around and to my surprise found a GORGEOUS tree...for FREE...and still available! :) I spoke to hubby and he was happy to go and get it with me, if it is something i really wanted! BOY OH BOY was it! :) I have been looking for a big tree for the back garden for quite some time, but never found one cheap enough...let alone FREE!

It was advertised as a 4 metre Chinese Elm Tree..little did we know, it was more like 6 metres! Unfortunately, we dont have a car with a towball, so we had to borrow a car from our good friends...in exchange for some mangoe beer and my expert advice on gumtree ;) We then had to hire a trailer and then we were on our way! We set off at about 6:30pm to pick this up...a 40 minute drive away!

When we arrived, we were kind of overtaken by the sheer size of this thing! Luckily, it had already been pulled out of the ground! That's one of the hard parts out the way! The next, was getting the massive thing into a 8x5 caged trailer! The owner of the tree and his son were LOVELY! They helped hubby the whole time, whilst I stood watching, helpless! The whole process took about an hour...and my goodness it was lengthy hour. I was getting some awesome glares from hubby saying "you owe me big time!!!". They tried every possible means to get the mega tree into the trailer! The final success was using a ratchet system, hacking off a HECK of alot of the branches [*tear*] and using alot of manly muscle! [I do wish i had photos of this whole process, but it was a very 'testing' time in our relationship and had i used a camera during this process, i would most likely have been walking home by myself, treeless!!!!] hehe

 The trailer full of branches chopped off :(
We then had to manoeuvre this monstrous tree in the trailer, down the backstreets all the way home [trying to avoid getting pulled over by cops at the same time]! We both shot up some quick prayers that the tree wouldnt (a) fall off the trailer, as there would be no way to get it back on with just the both of us, and (b) that it wouldnt attract unwanted attention from cops wanting to charge us for an oversized load!!!

When we made it home, we then had to figure out how to get the tree off the trailer, onto our lawn so we could return the trailer and car! This is another story in itself, involving car alarms being set off, roads being blocked and little nissan pulsars attempting to pull the tree up our hill! We did it though....just me and my man, returned the trailer and the car and made it to bed about midnight....utterly exhausted! We didnt even want to think about how we were going to get the tree out the back to plant it...for now, sleep was all we cared about! [It was also a freezing night so my lips ended up CHAPPED as and i was frozen to a crisp, still wearing my shorts and tank top from earlier in the day...]

Sunday saw us move the tree to the backgarden and plant it! We enlisted help from 2 of our WONDERFUL neighbours to get it to the back! Hubby dug the mega hole all by himself, whilst i did grocery shopping and then we both put the tree in together! I HEART IT VERY MUCH and look forward to decorating my pretty little tree with lights and lanterns soon....stay tuned! :)

I managed to bake my first ever banana bread this afternoon too...courtesy of Retromummy's recipe! It turned out divine!! My sister and her partner dropped in to say hello and we helped them find a stand for their new fish tank....on gumtree of course! :)

I baked a yummy chicken, asparagus pasta bake off a taste.com recipe which was delicious!! And then, i created this Bus Roll...after being inspired by many a blog out there!

This took no time at all to make...i HEART it and the little key there I found today too!
PHEW! I am ready for next weekend already...just to recover!
 
How did you all spend your weekends?

Much love


2 comments:

  1. Wow, that was a busy time!!! We spent our Saturday in a similar fashion to you except that our freebie was carpet and it HADN'T been removed yet. So in the humid Queensland heat, we spent the morning pulling up and removing a ladies carpet from her 2nd floor apartment in Surfers Paradise. It was a bit of a drama when she lost her keys as we needed them to operate the elevator to the underground carpark. On the way home with our new carpet safely loaded onto our hire trailer I said to hubby "was it worth it?". He agreed it was (whew). Now to find a carpet layer....
    So glad you got to hold a newborn. The first time for me was my own son and it was a bit scary (so get in all the pratice you can now,lol).
    I adore your bus scroll and can't believe you whipped it up amidst all that tree removing and baking. Good for you :o)
    Angex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ange: You poor thing! That would certainly have been a huge effort pulling up carpet!!! Glad to hear that hubby was still thankful for the carpet though! heeh :)
    I love the bus scroll too! I might adapt and change it as things in our life change...but very easy to whip up! All done in Microsoft Publisher and in Arial Narrow Font..type in the things you want, justify the spacing, alter the font sizes and print with a black background! :) Voila!
    x

    ReplyDelete