Thursday 10 February 2011

Getting my attention...


Malachi 3

Will a mere mortal rob God? Yet you rob me.
“But you ask, ‘How are we robbing you?’

“In tithes and offerings. You are under a curse—your whole nation—because you are robbing me. Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it. I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not drop their fruit before it is ripe,” says the LORD Almighty.“Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land,” says the LORD Almighty.

Ever get the feeling God is trying to tell you something? Get something across to you...shouting out with a big sign saying "HELLO...OVER HERE!"

Yes, well...for me it has been about this. When God calls, we should obey and answer. I came across this verse in my quiet time last week, but it is not the first time a verse on tithing, or a word about tithing has come to me. We cut back on our tithing some time ago as we were struggling to keep on top of life's many bills that were getting thrown at us left, right and centre. We still are. I look back now and think it was silly of me to cut back on the one thing that is so important...giving back what was never mine in the first place. We can whine about how it will make our lives so much easier to not pay that 10%...but when a verse like this jumps out at you, how can you ignore the fact that God wants to bless you and we are robbing him by not being diligent with our tithes.

I know this can be a touchy subject for some, and that some may frown upon me for doing this, but I am just being honest and out there about a lesson I have learnt. I feel guilty for ignoring His voice, but I know that He is wanting to bless us, wanting to make things easier and 'open the floodgates' in our lives.

Have you ever had an experience like this? When you feel God is kind of tapping His foot at you, waiting for you to answer His call? What about tithing - have you been thoroughly blessed for being persistent in giving back what was always His?

Much love

No comments:

Post a Comment