Tuesday 1 February 2011

On this day...


3 years ago today, on 2nd February 2008, I married the man of my dreams!

We kinda have a bit of a fairytale...well, i think so anyway ;) We met on Myspace, about 4 and half years ago. Matt had just signed up for the website, and was browsing around. They had a section called "new users" and my little photo popped up! He clicked on my profile and read a bit about me and decided...I'm going to email this girl and see how it goes! Little did he know, I had been inundated with quite a few "annoying" and "disguisting" emails from guys on the site, and thus was being ruthless when it came to receiving propositions from men! I would usually just delete them straight away! But...there was something intriguing about this guy...

Reading up on his profile, we had alot of similar interests, even though we were 4 years difference in age and lived at opposite ends of Perth! We got talking on Myspace for about a month, and had exchanged mobile numbers. Matt had tried numerous times to set up a date with me, but I was always too busy with dancing [that is the truth, i wasnt putting it off!] But Matt thought i was putting him off, so he said to himself he would try 1 more time to set up a date, and if i couldnt make it, he would leave things there as i obviously wasnt interested!!!
Our profile photos when we first "saw" each other on Myspace
Well, I was available on that day to meet up with him!!! *phew* We met down in Fremantle at 5pm on September 23rd 2006. I told Matt I was wearing a pink dress so to look out for me! He was standing out the front of the Esplanade Hotel and saw a blonde haired girl in a pink dress walking toward him....but with another man! Matt was thinking, "great, she has brought another guy with her to our date!" He phoned me to check where I was, just incase it was me with that man, and I told him to turn around as I was right behind him! That moment we met for the first time was magical! I kind of cant describe it better than, it was so relaxed and felt so "right". It felt as though we had been best friends for YEARS!


We took a walk down the boardwalk in Fremantle before dinner. I was wearing stockings with high heels and it was making it difficult to walk! I remember my heels getting stuck in the gaps of the boardwalk an awful lot, and whilst we were talking I had to subtly stop every few steps and do a sort of "wiggle" of my heel to get it loose again! Matt never even noticed me doing this!

After the walk, we stopped in at a little coffee shop. My stockings were frustrating me SO much at this point as it was making my shoes slip as i walked [didnt choose this outfit too well, did it!] So, the whole time we were chatting at the cafe, i was trying to rip little holes in my stockings so that my feet could grip to my shoes! haha! I was doing it very discreetly and lady like of course! ;) I finally excused myself to the ladies room and took them off altogether! Too much hassle! I also realised i had about 20 missed phone calls from my mum, who was beside herself as i hadnt called to tell her i was ok and that Matt wasnt a serial killer! ;)

We then made our way to the Salah Thai restaurant in Fremantle, which Matt had booked us into! We had a wonderful meal and it was my first ever "Thai food" experience...chillis and all....I was very brave to give it a go, but in the end i actually LOVED it and it is now one of our favourite foods to eat! Matt had bought a bottle of wine also, Brown Brothers Moscato, and it was the first wine we had really had. It became our favourite also!

After dinner, we went for another coffee for another long chat, and then stopped in at Timezone! We played a few games in there and just before we left, we had some of the photobooth photos taken! It is amazing, when you look at them, just how at ease and comfortable we look! You wouldnt have known it was the first time we had ever met each other!

We didnt want the date to end at this point, it was about 10pm! So, we jumped into Matts car and drove up to Kings Park! We had a walk around and a bit of a smooch at the lookout circle, over the city! It was absolutely magical...and freezing cold!! Time seemed to stop here, because by the time we got back to our cars, and were heading in opposite directions home, it was 1:52am!! We said our goodbyes and as we drove off, Matt phoned me! He pulled over to the side of the road to do it too, how cute! He said: "I kind of havent been in the dating scene for awhile, so i am not sure how this works, but i dont want to just know you, i want to be with you...will you go out with me???" It was the sweetest thing ever!! And i was SO happy! Couldnt wipe the smile off my face!
Our first wedding..a week after we met. We got married at the same spot we loved it so much!
All the ladies I worked with at ALH, and all the men Matt was with in the Navy will testify to just how happy we were, and still are!! We love to talk...alot....and evidently, all we would talk about was each other!!

5 months went past, and Matt was out at sea for 2 of those months. When he came back from sea, he took me down south to Margaret River. We stayed in a wonderful little chalet on the beach and on February 15th, at sunrise, he took me down to the beach and proposed! There were gorgeous rocks jutting out into the water, so we went and sat down on them and he said, "as its nearly our 6 month anniversary, I have some photos i wanted to show you that are special to me of our time together!". There was about 30 of these photos from all the dates we had been on together! He went through them one by one, and had a little "saying" to say about each one. As it got to the last photo, he said "and this photo is my favourite one as the look on your face is priceless". I couldnt find the photo he was looking for...so he said "hang on a minute, it must have fallen out in my bag..." As he went down to "get it out of his bag", he pulled out a beautiful box with the most stunning ring EVER in it and got on one knee to say: will you marry me?!?!

From that day forth....it has been a whirlwind! A year later we were married in the most BEAUTIFUL ceremony ever [6 months of that year of engagement, Matt was out at sea!]! It was a day that was so meaningful [and HOT] and i wouldnt have wanted it any other way!

So tonight, we are back off to where we had our reception for dinner! It has become our tradition to go there on the day of our anniversary for dinner. The owner and all the waitresses still remember us there, and save us the best seat in the house. They usually bring around a bottle of champagne and some chocolates also! They are just SO lovely to us!

As I reflect on the past 3 years of marriage, there has been many ups and downs, sad and happy times, trials and tribulations...but it is those times that have made us stronger, refined our relationship and brought us closer together. Through it all, God has been at the centre of the marriage and we work at keeping it that way. He is the one who brought us together, and we owe everything we have to Him for that.

So very excited for what this year of marriage has in store for us little love bugs! God is working wonders in our lives! I will keep you all posted on all the changes along the way!

Much love [and sorry for the loong post...couldnt help it!]





































6 comments:

  1. What a truely beautiful story Danica and your photos are just exquisite.

    It was love at first sight for me and mine :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so delighted to have found your blog! It caught my eye as I have a daughter by the same name (although different spelling - Danneke). Congrats on your anniversary. What a thrill to read about the way God brought you guys together. He certainly works in mysterious ways! I am looking forward to following your blog :o)
    Angex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone!! :D

    Hi Ange

    Thanks so much for those lovely words! Very sweet of you! And I love the spelling of your daughter's name - very different! I have always loved having my name, its different and special and the meaning: morning star, is just gorgeous!

    God certainly does work in mysterious ways, everything about our relationship we owe to Him and Him alone! Each new day is exciting in what it brings - I am sure you will read about it all on my blog though! hehe!

    Much love and have a wonderful week!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw this Brought A tear to my Eye!
    Congrats on 3 Years! what a milestone! that has FLOWN!!!!!!!

    love ya xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! i never knew ur story =D such a beautiful thing u two have, such a joy to read... made me laugh at ur shoes and reminded me of my first chilli meal!!! congrats on ur 3rd anniversary u guys still seam very much in love and happy and at peace with one another, its so nice to read about ur faith and how much you love God too! ur pics are gorgeous (big surprise there!) =D and i wish u the very best for the future and looking forward to reading about any mini Orchards that come along.... =D
    Love Brittany xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Brittany: thank you so much for your kind words :) Yep, it certainly was funny the dilemma with the shoes...would have been funny to watch it from someone elses' point of view...who knows what people thought I was doing!! I will certainly keep everyone posted on the mini Orchard front! Praying God blesses us in that area when the time is right! Much love hun, have a wonderful weekend! xxx

    Leah: Thank you so much! The time certainly has flown by!!

    ReplyDelete