Thursday 6 January 2011

The phenomenon that is...Oprah

If you haven't heard the story (where have you been hiding!!)...my husband and I won tickets to see the Oprah show in Sydney in December last year. The whole thing started by seeing a friend on facebook post that she was trying to get tickets. So, curious me in my boredom at work, logged onto the Oprah website and registered to be in the draw to get tickets to go! I thought nothing of it at the time, but entered 3 times under 3 different email addresses, and left it at that.

Whilst I was on the website, I had a look around and you can enter a story to be "ON THE SHOW". There were some shows they were offering for Australian viewers only, and one of them was for a Makeover. I thought to myself, the one person I think deserves to feel as beautiful and amazing on the outside as she is on the inside is my mother - so 2000 words later, I entered to be put forward to win a makeover on the Oprah show and again, thought nothing of it and left it there. It was all top secret and I only told Matt that I had entered her.


About 2 days later we had an email to our home address saying that we had won tickets to go see the show! It was such a weird feeling of excitement mixed with feelings of OH MY, how are we going to afford this trip!!?? But, we bit the bullet and booked flights to Sydney to head over to watch the show! BEST DECISION WE HAVE MADE - we had a ball and don’t regret a minute of it! I was a bit upset though, as my mum has been an avid follower of Oprah for over 15 years and she would have loved to come over! That was, until I had an email from the producer of the Oprah show asking for more information on my mum and why she deserved a makeover! They wanted more photos of her, and I had to answer some more specific questions for them! I was SO excited and couldn’t believe my luck!

After responding to that email, they asked if they would be able to call me the next day to chat over the phone about it all! This was just getting TOO much - and it was SO hard for me to keep this a secret! I spoke to the girl over the phone and she was just adorable! With her American accent and all, it felt very surreal to be talking to someone who works at Harpo for Oprah! We stayed in touch and she called me a few more times after that and emailed also.

I hadn't heard from her for awhile, so I assumed that they had chosen someone else for the makeover. I emailed her and she responded saying that they loved my mum's story but they had run out of time to do a makeover show whilst they were here in Australia! SO SAD! Knowing that it wouldn’t go ahead, I called my mum (who was in Brisbane at the time) to tell her about it all, as I was about to burst anyway! Couldn't keep the secret any longer! She was thankful that I had thought to put her forward for it, and I suppose a little sad that she hadnt been selected - but being the optimist she is, she said "well, everything happens for a reason, Danica. I didn’t win tickets to the show and the makeover isnt going ahead, but it must be meant to be!" That has been my mother's words of wisdom since I was a little girl - whenever I was upset about not coming where I wanted in a dancing competition, she would repeat those words along with "Keep beleiving and keep dreaming". Love her...


So, in the week leading up to us flying out to Sydney, I get a phone call from the Producer again. She says that she has managed to score my mum 2 tickets to come over the watch the show also! I WAS BLOWN AWAY and my mum was just in shock! It was so lovely and generous of the Harpo team, and it just goes to show what a little kindness can do - it comes back around :) So, mum took my sister and they went to see the morning taping, whilst Matt and I went to the evening taping! Mum and Rochelle scored a beautiful pearl necklace from Oprah and Matt and I scored a gorgeous white-gold pink diamond necklace - Matt will look so beautiful in it! ;) We should receive them in the next few months!

It was amazing seeing Oprah in person - she is larger than life and has the most beautiful personality. She really engaged with the audience and made us all laugh! Mum and Rochelle scored FRONT ROW seats, and Matt and I had an amazing view from the steps of the Opera house - directly infront of the stage! We got to see Nicole Kidman, Keith Urban, Olivia Newton-John, Hugh Jackman and Bono from U2. The Australian Youth Choir also came out and sung with all the celebrities! It was just beautiful!

After all this talking - the main point of this was to tell you all that if you are interested in watching the episodes, they will be airing on Channel 10 at 7:30pm, starting on Wednesday 19th January and finishing on Sunday 23rd January - so make sure you tune in to check it all out! The 300 audience members she flew over from America would have had an experience they will never forget - they were pampered and spoilt beyond imagination!

AND - the moral of this story is to be nice...kindness is a virtue and even though sometimes you think it is for no reason and it will never pay off, it does. Mum had an experience she will never forget, and I am thankful I was able to play a small role in that, for all she has ever done for me.

Much love

PS: If you would like to see all the photos from our Oprah adventure: click here
PPS: I found this gorgeous little shop at Bondi Beach called Between the Flags that sells THE most adorable swimsuits for little ones - got a few pairs for the nephews and neices so they can be mini lifesavers! Find their website here

No comments:

Post a Comment